Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Simple Things






I have a very 'symbiotic' relationship with a friend of mine - Ren Frouws (http://www.thefamousfrouws.blogspot.com/) - she helps me with the photographic aspect of my work, and in exchange I make her pretty pieces of jewellery. 

This is her pic (with an insanely close up lens, I might add) of a ring I made her a while ago.  It's something I've been meaning to make myself for a while now, but when the opportunity presented itself to manufacture another piece for Ren, I thought 'let's do this thang' (as she's always admired my wedding band which is very similar in design, I thought she should have one for herself).  All the metals (platinum, 18ct white gold, 9ct white gold and sterling silver) are flush with one another, and in the channel are set the most beautifully subtle (alternating) natural pink and white diamonds.  It really did evolve into one of those special 'wow' pieces!






Another one, or two (if you consider the versatility) pieces I made for Ren.  She calls it her 'twisty' ring/pendant, which I reckon describes it really well. 

It's one of those especially versatile (something I love to incorporate in design) and ever changing  pieces, as not only does it look very different on one's finger when turning it around to the left or right (as the curves all differ and change as they revolve), but by simply interlacing a length of simple silk cord, the ring becomes a pendant (which is also very different in appearance when viewed from the front or the side - as it stands away from the chest a little).  Another one I'd love to make for myself at some stage.





2 comments: